Sunday, January 15, 2012

My "Cranky Pants" aren't so cranky today...

...must be due to the hormones.  The doctor told me when I had my first implant three months ago that I would just know when it was time for a new injection - I had no idea how I would know.  Well, I finally figured out that I KNEW, but it took me a couple weeks.  I just had my second injection this week, and I feel great again.  However the mood leading up to the injection was bleak, and the correlation finally dawned on me right before I was scheduled for my second injection. 

I had bad insomnia - literally three nights a week I wouldn't sleep at all.  Thank God for my Kindle - I read a book and a half on Monday night, and went to my doctor's appointment after another sleepless night.  The insomnia led to depression and anxiety creeping back in - I didn't want to get out of bed some days, and was stressed about little things.  It's been four days now, and I feel back to normal again.  A good night's sleep, a good meal with family and friends tonight, and life is good.

Which in a roundabout way leads me to my point - or whatever it is I'm babbling about.  I have one girlfriend - my best friend - that I have known for more than 30 years and I would trust my life to.  We lost touch for many years, but once we made up our minds to stay in touch regularly, we revert immediately to the goofy 14-year old girls that met on a field trip, and bonded by sharing a room on the 14th floor of the Hilton in San Antonio, spent tossing pizza and gummy bears on to the cabs parked below.  We speak each other's language, so to speak.  No other female that I have met before or since gets my twisted sense of humor, or shares my values (other than family, since it appears to be genetic) .  That's important - shared values.  And it's taken me a lot of years to figure that out.

My best friend and I can go a month without talking, but always pick up right where we leave off.  We had dinner tonight with my parents, and we spent most of the evening trying not to shoot our beverage out our noses while laughing.  It's always a game to see who will snort first (it was Elizabeth tonight, after her SO made a comment having to do with Reese's Feces, which  I won't even try to explain).  I have lots of female friends and aquaintances, but only one best friend for life.  And that is more than enough - I'm truly blessed to have her in my life.  And I don't tell her that enough.  So this is my mushy "love letter" to my best friend, I guess. 

Several years ago, after a particularly brutal relationship ended, I suddenly felt the need to TELL the people in my life that I love them regularly.  It may drive family nuts when I talk to them on the phone, because I always end the conversation with "love you!", and I mean it.  My husband has learned that he can't hang up the phone without telling me.  My aunt Jane always laughs, but she says it back.  I tell my ex-husband, and I mean it, just not in the "husband & wife" way.  My best friend Elizabeth has never laughed, and always says it back - half the time she says it first.  Those three little words, when said with meaning, truly do have an impact.  I will call Elizabeth back if I forget to tell her "love you!" before I hang up the phone...and it makes my day brighter to know that she gets it, she understands the importance.

I know, I know, I'm getting maudlin and depressing, and entirely too mushy for most's comfort...I'll go back to being my typical snarky opinionated bitchedy person soon, I promise...love you! :-)

1 comment: